Electrical Safety at Home

by Dave Collins on September 29, 2012

in Electrical Safety



Electrical Safety at Home

Guest Post

Every year we see thousands of people are electrocuted or injured in their homes due to electricity-related accidents. If you have loose wires running through your homes, it is high time you do something about them. With common sense and little foresight, you can prevent accidents that occur due to electricity. Always remember that electricity can get through anything-wet objects, wire, metal or even you! Here are few tips you can follow to ensure secure electrical connections at home.

For general appliances

Remember to remove all electrical devices with frayed or damaged cords or broken and cracked plugs so that you do not experience electric shocks. Before unplugging or plugging appliances, turn off all the power points. It is important that you switch off all the appliances such as stove tops, ovens and heaters before you leave home. You should also clean your exhaust fans regularly.

You should have enough space around your electrical devices to avoid overheating. Then, remove combustible materials from lamps, heaters and stove as they can catch fire. Extension cords must not be utilized in damp and wet areas, unless they are specially designed for such areas. When you use extension cords in damp areas, you might experience electric shocks. Whenever there is any kind of electrical repair or work to be done, always call licensed electricians so that the appliances are done properly.

Water and electricity

Be very careful while using devices that are connected to power points close to swimming pools, baths or sinks as you might experience shocks as electricity reacts with water. If your electrical devices like hair dryers or mixers are dipped in water, make sure that you discard them immediately. When dipped in water, all electric devices become faulty and working with such devices can be highly dangerous. After you are done using portable electric devices like shavers and hair dryers, turn off and unplug them immediately as faulty wires can cause electric shocks in the ‘on’ condition.

It is better not to use portable water heaters in your bathroom. Instead, get strip heaters installed in on the bathroom wall or ceiling unit by professional electricians. Do not use power leads or extension leads that are not specifically designed to work in damp and wet areas. To prevent electric shocks, it is better not to touch electric appliances with bare feet or wet hands.

Kitchen appliances

It is crucial that you clean the range filters regularly so that they electric connections are not faulty. Also, clean your oven to avoid the accumulation of burnt foods or spilled fat. Install ventilation system like an exhaust fan in your kitchen to drive away fumes when you cook. Turn off and unplug bread toasters before removing the crumpets, muffins or toast that are cooked in your toaster. Your toaster should be free of bread crumbs as a regular accumulation can be very hazardous. Finally, never leave anything cooking unattended. If you want to leave your kitchen, take something like a wooden spoon to remind you that you are halfway with your cooking!

 

  • Last week was electrical safety week for electrical fires within the UK. This is essential as we approach winter here and people turn on products which have essentially been unused for the past 6 months. This article highlights some great pointers – it’s crucial that electrical health and safety points are followed both at home and in the office!

Previous post:

Next post: